Melia Beyond Cloud
In 2015, Melia committed to evolving its digital channels by launching a new web and mobile app. This despite continuing to have a monolithic application based on Java and a proprietary CMS (content management system). To evolve further, Melia needed a fast and flexible CMS that would give them the shortest possible time to value.
From this need, Melia Beyond Cloud was born, a project based on the adoption of an Open Source approach to achieve faster time to market and an improvement in scalability, performance and flexibility, to support a vertical growth of the company.
Melia Beyond Cloud relies on four pillars:
- Open Source as the main element of transformation to enhance innovation, flexibility, transparency and community.
- Team transformation: to achieve agility and software quality.
- Micro services: development agility, implementation flexibility and precise scalability.
- Migration to the Cloud: scalability, elasticity and efficiency.
Replacing an old monolithic platform
Despite the great commitment to its digital channels, and the improvements in usability, personalization, customer data management and process automation, the backend of the application was still holding back Melia's digital transformation.
So, in order to achieve the pillars of its transformation, the hotel company was looking for an open source CMS to replace its customized monolithic solution.
The new CMS had to meet the following criteria:
- Ease of use and simplicity (to enable all regions to use the tool)
- Flexibility and extensibility
- Open source
- Development speed (short time to market)
- Cloud friendliness
- Vendor support
- Relevant references and powerful network of partners
- Built on J2EE technology
Magnolia successfully fulfilled the list of requirements and the objective was to place it at the center of all of Melia's digital channels in order to attract customers via its owned channels. Magnolia would enable editors to design templates, publish landing pages for events, all while providing efficient time to market and access to external data sources.
Our experience with Magnolia is that it has been cost effective. We have done everything with an internal team that did not know about Magnolia as of January 1st. We analyzed the technology and as a client we were able to understand and implement it (in March). It did turn out not to be a complex process.
A flexible and user-friendly CMS
The selection of Magnolia as a new CMS for Melia.com had a greater impact than powering the web and mobile channels, as it also became the foundations of Melia Content Hub where all the company's content is stored.
For Melia, Magnolia is quick, safe, easy to use, and provides editor autonomy for creating landing pages. This streamlines the publishing processes and reduces the time to market. Additionally, Magnolia allowed easy integration with external systems based on REST API.
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud for digital marketing
- DAM for unification of multimedia assets
- Melia Content Hub unified all content from all Melia hotels (Intrastay, btandHub, etc.)
- Flows built on Jira to migrate to advanced flow implementations
- eCommerce integration via REST API
Migration to the Cloud
A high-availability infrastructure could be set up in Amazon Web Services in a quick fashion, being accessible to external sources and based on scalability of public nodes.
The Magnolia team is very close and collaborative, which allows for high quality support and a very active community in which even Magnolia's own engineers are involved.
The project went live in March 2018. In the first months, Melia achieved the following outcomes:
- The team was trained in just one month: more than 350 hotels and 500 users.
- It was possible to carry out roles and permissions for hotels and corporations in different geographical areas.
- An excellent time to market.
- Decoupling of the back-end from front-end.
- Needs that emerged throughout the process could be successfully covered by Magnolia.
In just over a month we trained more than 350 hotels and 500 users. In a week, they had already created 40 landing pages.
Find out what Magnolia can do for you
Request a personal demo tailored to your business needs.